The Need is Real!
The 2010 Haiti earthquake was devastating for an already impoverished Caribbean island. 250,000 people died leaving thousands of orphaned children and a island country mired in a desperate level of poverty.
A drought in 2016 and devastating hurricane Matthew made conditions even worse. May of the issues brought about by these natural disasters persist today. Organizations large and small like A Child’s Promise are making a difference.
- Haiti ranked 168 out of 187 on the 2014 human development index.
- 59% of the population lives on less than $2 per day.
- 24.7% live in extreme poverty on less than $1.25
- Poverty is mainly rural at 75.2% vs. 40.8 in urban areas.
- 50% of children do not attend school
- Only 29% of Haitians aged 25 and above attended secondary school.
The only long term solution for these orphans and children born into severe poverty is education and a source of good nutrition. At A Child’s Promise we focus all our efforts to meet those needs.
Building schools and Aquaponic food production systems can make a sea change for the next generation Haitians! You can help! Use the donate button to the right.